Monday, September 27, 2010

Gluten Free is not a "Lifestyle" choice

Our local paper ran an article today from the Associated Press entitled, "The 'it' diet: Gluten-free has gone big time, but why so popular?". It speculated about the popularity of people opting to go Gluten-free, and not for any diagnosed medical problem. I found it sorely neglected the insight of people who go gluten free due to necessity.

I adopted this "lifestyle" for the love and well-being of my daughter. While she has more severe allergies to other food items, which may result in anaphylaxis, wheat and other foods with gluten cause her to suffer from eczema, hives, and stomach ailments. Why would I choose to feed my daughter a food that results in constant irritation and sometimes sores requiring steroid creams?

Furthermore, living a gluten-free life is not the most affordable "lifestyle". In fact, a box of gluten-free pasta is generally at least 4 times the cost of wheat-based pasta priced per ounce. And of course, if I want dessert, it requires me to bake like a scientist.

So to Michael Hill, author of the aforesaid article, I invite him to investigate this lifestyle from the perspective of those who do this to make a better, healthier, safer life for themselves and their loved ones, and not because some A-lister is doing it.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you well with your efforts to feed your child and to keep her safe as she interfaces more and more with the outside world. Your point is well taken about gluten-free not being a lifestyle choice. If only...

    I've developed a gluten-free sourdough bread technique, for myself around my own food sensitivities, that uses only pure food ingredients and eliminates the need for chemical leaveners and gums. I started with rice base breads and then got requests for rice-free.

    I now offer 2 book versions of my technique, one being rice-free. The recipes are also free of dairy, eggs, soy, yeast and sugars.

    I use flax and chia seeds in almost all the recipes so not sure it would be right for your daughter.

    Anyway, I want to recommend amaranth and teff grain to you. I eat these cooked as a hot cereal for breakfast. They are high protein and give a lot of energy. I also make teff sourdough pancakes which are amazing. If your daughter cannot have flax seed you may be able to make the teff pancakes without them. Teff has a natural sponginess to it.

    I know you are busy with a toddler and baking your own bread may be an impossibility at this point in time but take a look at my blogs and perhaps you can incorporate some of my ideas and help feed your daughter.

    sincerely,
    sharon a. kane
    sharon.foodasmedicine@gmail.com

    glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com
    sophisticatedpeasant.blogspot.com
    intestinalrecovery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete