Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Easy Lunch

O.k., I take forever to post stuff, and then a ton of stuff at once. However, today's lunch deserved mentioning, and really doesn't have much to do with Garbanzo Beans (see earlier post). Lunches are a challenge. My precocious toddler has certain things she really enjoys to eat, such as hot dogs and frozen french fries. She particularly loves avocados, or "ca" as she calls them. And in deference to garbanzo beans, she's probably the rare child who actually likes to eat hummus. But I've begun to reach a point where I don't want to eat what she's having. So today I made something so simple, but new to me, that I think I will have it again tomorrow.

I made a basic taco. Wow, I'm sure that sounds utterly amazing when its the easiest thing on earth. But if you've noticed, we don't eat wheat, rice, or dairy in this house. That means we have corn tortillas, not wheat. Corn tortillas may look similar to wheat tortillas, but lack in flavor unless properly heated. And what to fill the tortilla with? I made a base of quinoa, thinly sliced avocado, sprinkled fresh cilantro over it, lime juice and salt. All I can say is, yum! Never would have thought to use the quinoa in lieu of rice if a friend hadn't mentioned it. It was the perfect lunch and/or snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment