Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Soup

Its that time of year to snuggle up and sip on warm beverages, that includes soup. I created a new one today spur of the moment for company, and we all enjoyed it. One of my guests does not tolerate onion, which makes soup-making a slight challenge. To me, onion adds a ton of flavor. However, except for the onion in the soup base I used (which does not appear to bother him), there was no onion in the pot.

I try to have in my pantry at all times Imagine No-Chicken Broth. It comes in handy to add as a base to soup, in mashed potatoes, and to cook poultry in. I also use it to make the rue for my gluten-free green bean casserole- that's right, I don't use canned cream of mushroom soup. Anytime you want to keep a dish vegetarian or vegan, and the only animal product it calls for is Chicken broth, this is a great substitute. So with that little plug for a favorite staple in my house, here's the recipe from today's soup.

Winter Soup
2 Large carrots, diced, approximately 1 1/2 Cups worth
2 stalks celery, diced
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 package frozen cooked butternut squash (squash is only ingredient in package)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt (approximately)
2-3 Cups Imagine No-Chicken broth

1. Saute/sweat the carrots and celery in the oil for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potato for another 2-3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add the thyme, salt, frozen squash, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally. Continue to cook 30-40 minutes.
4. With an immersion blender (sorry, don't have a regular blender), puree soup. Let cook an additional 10 minutes on low and then serve.

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog.... I am happy to have found you. I have candida and a lot of your recipes... the ones without sugar... would work for me.

    I have a gluten free linky up and would really like you to come over and link up with us. There are not many (if any)linked up who have a small child that eats gluten free.

    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-blogs.html

    I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you like it. Sorry though about my next post, but believe me, I don't just bake.

    ReplyDelete