Thursday, January 3, 2013

Read Every Label

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it deserves repeating.  When dealing with food allergies, read every label.  Just because you've used the product before, it doesn't mean that the manufacturer hasn't changed ingredients or manufacturing processes that could be harmful to your Allergy Babe.  And when in doubt, contact the manufacturer or else do not use.  Here are a few recent examples.

While at my in-laws, they usually buy a few favorite items for the Babe, and some things they know my husband and I will enjoy.  We stick to eating only Babe-safe foods while there.  In the past, this has included Kosher corned beef.  While the Babe wouldn't eat it, my husband and I both love it.  They had gotten a different brand (although who knows if the original would have had this in it, too).  One of the ingredients was modified food starch.  I warned my husband not to give any to the Babe, and he asked why.  I pointed this ingredient out.  I thought it was a possible hazard.  I googled it, and sure enough, the source of the starch can be several foods, including wheat.  Away in their freezer it went. 

Later that day, you would think my husband would have learned his lesson to read all labels, we had another run in.  My father-in-law and husband were prepping a turkey.  We didn't want to use a seasoning mix (another potential pit-fall), so I suggested some spices that might work.  I did not read the labels as I was not in the kitchen while they did this.  I assumed they would check, but my mistake for not reminding them.  I'm apparently the only one who must always be on alert- silly me.  Anyhow, when I came back in just after the turkey was put in the oven, I spotted a spice bottle on the counter.  From several feet away I could see a warning label.  Since it was a ground spice, it had a warning that it was manufactured in a facility with three of the Babe's major allergens.  I called the company, and they confirmed that the line was used for them, and it wasn't just a blanket statement.  That meant no turkey for the Babe.  I made her something else, and ate with her. 

The other day I went to buy a replacement for some cooking spray.  Generally I stick to one particular national brand.  When I went to grab a bottle off the shelf, I double checked the label.  Sure enough, they changed the ingredients, now adding coconut oil.  The Babe is allergic to coconut, so I went with another brand.  This particular bottle did not indicate any change in formula; the front was identical to bottles I've previously bought. 

So, again, always, always, always read labels.  What was safe yesterday may not be safe today.  And even if it seems obvious what should be in a food package, it does not mean it is so.  Food manufacturing is a science, and unless you know how certain ingredients help maintain color, texture, and shelf-life, you don't know what or why there is an ingredient in a food.  And don't get me started on personal care products.  I just read a label on a hand lotion and it contained lactic acid, which is derived from milk.  Nut, wheat, egg, and dairy are very commonly found in shampoos, lotions, and cosmetics.   It's a mine-field for those of us with children who have food allergies.  In the end, sometimes simple is better.  That's probably why I spend my most time in the produce section of the grocery store than anywhere else there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment