Monday, January 24, 2011

Wintertime fun

Its the middle of winter, and I have not been very good at keeping my child entertained. Or rather, entertained in ways that do not involve the television.

Its a bit of do as I say, not as I do around here. I remember when my sister's oldest child was a toddler, and I was an all-knowing sociology major, telling her the hazards of television on development. Considering she was an education major, I think she already knew this. And now I find my daughter is a t.v. junky, crying or begging for it when its off, talking in her sleep about Caillou, staring with glazed eyes while Barney sings or Elmo giggles. I have lists of things we can do, but most of the time we don't.

For those with little ones, going to the mall, a museum, or other play activities may be simple trips, but may not be as easy for us. I have to be aware of the locale and what happens there with regards to food. Mall play areas are not for us- they are usually near food courts and not every child washes post-meal. I also usually see food eaten in those areas too, so they are off limit to my Allergy Babe for fear she might touch and then ingest an allergen.

Part of our failure to do some things now has more to do with my stubborn toddler who is in the throes of the terrible twos. It is not fun trying to leave a library with a child who is stiff as a board and crying because we have to leave. However, I'm not going to give up on trying new adventures. A little patience, some allergy safe snacks, and wipes, and away we go.

Here is a list of some winter allergy-safe activities:
1. Local children's museum, because they don't allow food in their exhibits.
2. Library story-time
3. Building a fort using a sheet and chairs
4. Beading a necklace or bracelet
5. Coloring, coloring, and more coloring
6. Putting on some music and dancing around the house
7. Bundling up and going to a local zoo, park, or waterfront
8. Indoor gardens if in your area (e.g. Milwaukee Domes, Chicago Botanical Gardens).

There's plenty more to do. Any suggestions? I'm interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment