Monday, October 17, 2011

Let's Go Fly a Kite

I'm guessing that we're going to get some cold weather soon.  Ok, not really a psychic thing here, just reality.  It is mid-October after all.  Right now though we're experiencing some mild fall weather, so we might as well take advantage of it while we can.  Yesterday we took the Babe to a local pumpkin farm where she had fun picking out a bunch of baby pumpkins.  They now have a place of honor on our front porch.  I'm not sure yet if we'll decorate any of them.  I'm also debating if one of those little pumpkins might find their way into being oven roasted.  Still a few more weeks to buy more if one or two should disappear from our porch. 

In other weather-enjoying related news, we have been having fun flying our kite.  When I pulled into the garage this morning after being at the gym, she asked if we could go fly the kite.  Since neither of us was starving for lunch, the sun was shining, and it wasn't freezing out, my answer was a definite yes.  It was fun, we both ran around a bit, and got some nice height going on the kite a few times.  I'm not sure how many more days we'll get to do this, so have to be open to it when she asks.  Today was the second day in a row we did this.  We'll see how the wind blows tomorrow whether we do it again.

And its been a long while since I've posted a recipe, so here goes.  My husband loves lemon, and I thought chicken piccata or something similar would be good tonight.  However, because of the Babe's allergies, I'm afraid to cook anything with wine.  So in lieu of wine, I substituted apple juice.  He enjoyed it (the Babe only wanted toast for dinner-argh!), so I don't want to forget how I made it.  Hence, me posting the recipe.

Baked Lemon Chicken
1- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 Tbsp margarine
1/4 C apple juice
1/2 C chicken broth
3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
salt
1-2 tsp corn starch + 2 Tbsp chicken broth

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place chicken in a baking dish.  Put dabs of margerine on chicken pieces. 
3. Mix apple juice, chicken broth, and lemon juice.  Pour over chicken (try not to displace margerine).  Sprinkle a little salt over chicken.  Place in oven.
4. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until chicken is done.  Remove from oven.  Place chicken on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
5. In a saucepan, pour the cooking liquids.  Heat to boiling.  In a separate container combine corn starch with some chicken broth, then add to pan.  Continue to heat through until it thickens or reduces, creating a sauce.  Add salt to taste.  Serve over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment