Friday, June 1, 2012

Dirty Money

I know money isn't clean, but now I feel like my wallet is full of a live grenade.  I went to our local neighborhood bank to pay a bill and take out some cash via the drive-through.  The teller usually recognizes me and is very nice.  When she sees the Babe in the backseat, she'll usually offer stickers or a lollipop.  I always decline the lollipop.  Today, when she completed what she had to, she asked if there was anything else I needed.  I asked, "stickers, please.", since the Babe was asking for them in the backseat.  When the drive-through container came back, it looked all squashed together.  Why?  Because wrapped around the bank envelope that contained some cash, my i.d., and the stickers, was a package of Otis Spelunker cookies.  I didn't want to even touch it, and was tempted to return the cash and ask for new.  However, how crazy would that be?  Either way, it was already tainted.  I tenderly removed the bank envelope and returned the cookies, nicely letting the teller know they were there and that we couldn't have them due to allergies.  I fibbed to the Babe about not receiving any stickers.  When we got home, I went inside to wash my hands before I touched the Babe's carseat buckle.  Now my day feels ruined, and I'm tempted to completely wipe down everything in my wallet and car just because someone thought they were being nice.  Please, no food unless you offer first and its accepted.  As in the zoo, do not feed the animals.  There are many reasons beyond food allergies, but in this case, your kindness really can kill.

* To clarify, the packet of cookies were fresh baked in a parchment paper type packaging, not the kind that are completely sealed from a manufacturer.

No comments:

Post a Comment