Sunday, November 4, 2012

Latest testing

I get asked a lot if the Babe will outgrow her allergies.  My general response is that we are hopeful, and then the various statistics I have been quoted or have read.  The key has always been that with strict avoidance, there is a strong possibility that she will outgrow some, if not all, of her food allergies.  However, there is no exact science or method to  make any kind of prediction.  Food allergies in children is a newer, growing field. 

Well, we just went for her latest allergist appointment.  Lets just say I am not so hopeful.  Rather than a skin test, she had blood work drawn to evaluate the various allergen IgE levels.  Again, not an exact science nor predictor as to what kinds of reactions she might have, or whether her allergies will worsen or improve with time.  However, some of her results were off the charts.  One in particular we anticipated was going to have improved to the point we could food challenge it, only to find out that one was a top allergy.  So how does that effect our life?  Well, nothing in our day-to-day routine will change.  However, my outlook on this has.  Hopeful that we can achieve normal, or what I would like to think is normal?  Not so much.  Disappointed?  Big time.  Oh well.  Maybe I can find some enthusiasm for Thanksgiving and the fact that we will be isolated from all our family once more...  I'll let you know when I have a positive spin on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment