Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Allergy Cooking

I did something that I found interesting.  I cooked for another allergy family, only they have at least one different allergen (one that's a top 8 allergen) than what we are dealing with.  What made it interesting was that in planning and preparing our meal was similar to what someone who doesn't have allergies goes through in planning a meal for someone who has allergies.  I hope that made sense.  Basically, I had to re-read ingredients.  I had to make sure there wasn't a risk of contamination in my cookware.  I almost swapped out kitchen sponges, but realized nothing needed washing prior to cooking.  I did take out fresh kitchen and bathroom towels.  Basically, everything I made involved fresh ingredients. 

This isn't too different from what I already do.  One thing I did do was cook in foil.  I made oven roasted potatoes in a pan that I lined with foil, and used a light coating of canola oil.  I made hamburgers in a frying pan, also lined with foil, of just beef, a little oil, and salt.  Salad came from a bag, and farm fresh grape tomatoes.  Salad dressing was made by combining fresh squeezed lemon juice, canola oil, salt and sugar.   Simple ingredients.  Easy preparation.  The meal was tasty, everyone was full.  Clean up was easier than usual courtesy of the foil.  Dessert was just Enjoy Life Cookies, free of the Top 8 Allergens. 

In the end, it was more about getting everyone together.  However, it made me happy to be able to feed them something they enjoyed and was safe.  If you haven't figured it out from earlier postings, I like to feed people.  I don't know why, its genetic, from my mother and grandmothers, and probably generations before.  If I know you have a food issue, I'm still going to want to feed you.  So, friends or family who have food allergies, Celiac, food sensitivities, whatever the "challenge", welcome to my kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment