Thursday, May 1, 2014

Building blocks

The Babe has been in school since we moved in October.  It's a private facility that is mostly childcare, ages 6 months to 6 years.  They have a 4k group, and one kindergarten class.  The kindergarten program is taught by a licensed educator with a Bachelor's degree in education.  The Babe only goes part-time to the kindergarten class, as I pick her up before lunch is served.  In the fall, she will be attending kindergarten in our local public school.  Right now, she's learning sight words, working on penmanship, and other wonderful things.  The afternoon focuses more on science and math, so she has less of that, but she does get some.  Because she will be attending kindergarten next fall, our primary goal in this year's schooling was socialization.  Everything else is a bonus.

Last night she decided to write a letter to her cousins.  I did not get to read the letter, beyond her showing me her start of, "Dear Kasins".  After she finished and put it in an envelope, she told me what she wrote.  "Dear Cousins, I love you.  I miss you.  Love, __".  As she was telling me the letter's contents, she told me where she had the greeting, the body, and the closing.  I was highly impressed that she's already learned the format of a letter.  There are these wonderful building blocks that she's learning at what seems an earlier age, but she gets it.  I'm excited to see her educational development.  As Dr. Seuss says, "Oh, the places you will go."

No comments:

Post a Comment