Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Drip Drop

It has become a challenge to take a shower daily.  No, I'm not becoming one of the unwashed.  However, once upon a time I enjoyed and preferred to take a hot shower every day.  Now, courtesy of the Babe, I squeeze one in every other day, and am only super lucky if its two days in a row.  Oh, what I wouldn't give for a long, hot shower without interruption.  That luxury can only occur during the weekends. 

The shower is only part of the luxury, its the without interruption part that I would like.  I generally will put on the television in my bedroom, and the Babe lounges in my bed while I take a shower.  I leave the master bathroom door open so I can hear her while I try to get in a five-minute-or-less shower.  Although her favorite show might be on, generally I hear her calling for me.  This requires turning off the water, and opening the door to find out if something is wrong.  Nope, generally something is so funny or so urgent that she has to share the latest on t.v.  On occasion, she will even go so far as to walk into the bathroom to get my attention, only to tell me Caillou or Elmo did something silly.

Today she was playing with blocks in my room.  She didn't ask for t.v., and I figured I might have a shot at that shower.  Got in, and within a minute (after being totally submerged), she cried out that the t.v. wasn't on.  That required me to get out of my hot steamy shower to go turn on the t.v. dripping wet.  After returning to my shower, she kept calling out laughing, requiring at least one additional time turning off of the water. 

When she was an infant, I had no problem getting in a daily shower.  I couldn't understand why my other friends who were new mothers had trouble.  Until she started climbing, I could put her in her bassinet or bouncy seat, and know she was both content and safe.  Our last home had a shower with clear glass walls, so that also made it easier.  Now she's mobile and demanding, always wanting to share everything with me.  I love that she wants me, but sometimes I could use a few minutes alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment