Friday, December 30, 2011

Breakfast

Yes, you're getting two posts in one night.  This one is more about food.  We had a lovely visit with my in-laws, who for some reason after ten days at our house actually wanted to go home.  Could it be the exhaustion caused by a demanding three-year-old, or the lack of eggs and bread?  Nah, they just wanted to get back to some things at home.

When they come to visit, I try to plan out meals and/or snacks since there are many staples in their diets they can't have in our house due to the Babe's allergies, and the fact that I keep kosher.  Granted, they do get out on their own when they visit, and can eat out as often as they want.  However, they spend most of the time with us.  We arranged two nights to have our sitter come so the four of us could enjoy a meal out, and they got out for a lunch or two.  Otherwise, they ate at home.

Mornings are probably the biggest challenge.  My in-laws aren't the biggest of breakfast eaters, and when they do have breakfast at home, its usually eggs.  When they're here, I try to make pancakes at least a few of the mornings.  Before the Babe outgrew her rice allergy, I made GF pancakes from scratch.  Now, I usually make it using GF Bisquick mix.  I personally like the mix flavor over the other recipe I used.  However, this morning I was running short on Bisquick, and a new recipe was born. I think I have a good substitute for the GF Bisquick now. 

Gluten-Free Pancakes
1 1/2 C Brown Rice Flour
1/2 C Potato Starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 stick Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1 Tbsp ground flax seed meal
1 1/2 C Enriched Vanilla Soymilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Additional margarine for cooking.

1. Combine rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar.
2. Blend in the margarine with a fork (crumbling the dry ingredients).
3. In a separate bowl, combine 1 tbsp flax seed meal with 3 tbsp water.  Let sit for 3-5 minutes. 
4. To the dry ingredient mix, add the soymilk, flax seed, and vanilla.  Mix well.  It may have small lumps from the margarine.
5. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, melt some margarine.  Make the pancakes by the tablespoon full (or however you like to cook your pancakes).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment