Saturday, December 17, 2011

Really Demanding

I'm often amazed by the things the Babe says.  Sometimes just because of how she might repeat a very grown up phrase in (or out of) context, other times just by her analytical skills.  Here are two examples.

The other day I took her to the grocery store.  I have been riding the fence as to whether to take her into one anymore.  Its very stressful lately, and she doesn't follow directions all the time.  So, we went to the store, I tried to stay calm, and she did really well.  She stayed with me, didn't touch the conveyor belt checking out, and overall cooperated.  So when we got to the car, I told her how she was such a good girl.  Her response?  "Mommy, you're really demanding!"  No idea why she said it or where she heard that phrase.  I laughed and asked where she got that from.  "Auntie Melissa!"  Hmmm...no, my sister did not tell her that.  Considering any phone call the Babe has is on speaker phone, I think I would have remembered that too.  Anyhow, she repeated it at least six more times during our five minute ride home, laughing each time. 

Her other comment that impressed me for a different reason arose out of her desire to play outside.  It was a bright, sunny day with frigid temperatures and biting wind.  After earlier telling her it was too cold to play outside, she casually asked what games we were going to play outside now (as if we were about to wander out).  I told her again why we couldn't, but she really wanted to.  So I told her if the temperature was under 32 degrees, it would be too cold to play outside.  I pulled out my Ipod, looked up the current temperature on the Weather Station, and told her it was 30 degrees out so we couldn't go outside.  Her response?  "Its 36 degrees, so we can go outside".  Why did this impress me?  Because she understood the concept of greater or less than= if the temperature was less than 32 she couldn't have something, but if it was greater than 32 she could.  She also has been counting up to 30, so the fact that she figured out the numbers for this little math challenge was also impressive to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment