Thursday, May 3, 2012

Playgroup

Last year when we went to the allergist, I had considered asking about starting a local playgroup for area allergy families.  I didn't have the opportunity to bring it up, but at our last visit, I was able to.  As a family friend suggested, maybe we could even start our own pre-school for our little Allergy Babes.  So, with those two ideas, I asked our allergist if he would be willing to mention to other families with similar situations.  I wasn't asking him to violate HIPPA (privacy laws).  I was willing to waive it personally only to the extent that he give out my name and email.  He looked moderately interested, so we agreed I'd give my info to his front desk staff.  I wrote a note indicating that I wanted to start a play-group or playdates for children with food allergies between the ages of 3-5. 

Its been two weeks, and I just got a call from the nutritionist.  She heard I was looking for information on pre-schools and playgroups in the area.  Glad they listened so carefully.  Even worse, she asked if I was aware of FAAN or needed the name of other support groups that might be able to refer me out.  That is the problem.  First, every allergist we've dealt with immediately tell us about FAAN.  Secondly, I can only find support groups for parents, with limited meetings.  There aren't too many resources to actually help beyond telling me what foods to avoid and possible recipes within our allergies.  I'm finding that the allergy medical community only goes so far.  They don't really get what living with food allergies is like.  They may understand the clinical, but the day-to-day lifestyle seems to be beyond their grasp. 

Finally, let me add to my rant.  As an attorney, we are taught to ask questions.  If the question is not answered, ask again or re-word.  The key though is to listen.  Don't talk over someone, don't assume, and certainly just because someone responded does not mean they answered what you asked.  And here's the problem with our allergist's office.  They only heard what they wanted to, only provided help how they knew how, and now they probably think they answered my questions and can walk away.  Thanks for nothing.  You think you helped, but you didn't.  And in my passive-aggressive manner, I have vented but have not solved anything. 

So, if you happen to live in Southeast Wisconsin and want to start a playgroup, please contact me at allergybabe@yahoo.com.  I'm listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment