Saturday, May 5, 2012

What's Cooking?

For those who are new to food allergies, figuring out what your going to eat, or if you're ever going to eat again, can be overwhelming.  I have a three year old, and we've been living with her food allergies for more than two years.  Initially, you start with just fruits, vegetables and proteins that you know are safe, with little variation, and little added flavoring.  Then you begin to explore. 

I'd probably explore more, but for two factors.  First, I have a three year old.  She likes to eat the same thing every day for lunch and breakfast (or lunch as she also calls that meal based on what she eats, not the time of day).  Dinner is where we have variety, although its a safe variety.  She's not big into sauces and gravies, although just recently developed an interest in ketchup and tomato sauce.  So, while her palate and  preferences are limited, I do try to go beyond that on occasion.  My second reason why I haven't branched out too far is I'm just plain old chicken.  If she hasn't had it already, I dread giving her something new.  Just like a criminal trial- innocent until proven guilty- I need to retrain my mind that she's not allergic to a food until there's evidence.  But its hard to tell my blood pressure that when trying to introduce something new.

So what do we eat around here?  Chicken, beef, corn-based pastas, potatos, rice, quinoa, carrots, onions, broccolli, cauliflower, squash, melon, apples, pears, and the list goes on.  The other day I made bourbon chicken with rice.  It was delicious, although the Babe wasn't a fan.  Just because we can't eat wheat, eggs, or dairy, I still bake cookies, muffins, cupcakes, and pancakes.  I have a lot of cookbooks and websites I reference in searching for new foods.  We eat foods with Asian and Mediterranean influences, as well as other cultural influences.  I season with garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, lemon, lime, tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), and more.  Just because there are several foods we can't eat, there are many more we can.  We don't have to eat tasteless, bland, boring meals.  If we do, its not due to food allergies.  Its due to me being too tired or bored to change it up, just like every other home cook in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment