Saturday, September 1, 2012

Constant Feeding

Childhood obesity rates are on the rise.  My concern with food for my child differs in that I want to make sure she eats; the more the better.  However, she does not need to eat every hour on the hour.  I no longer carry a diaper bag, so unless I know we will be gone for several hours, there is no need for me to carry snacks.  Apparently, I missed the message though that kids can't go a few hours without being fed. 

Where does this latest rant stem from?  Well, as you know we will not be going to any formal pre-school, because all the 2-3 hour programs have a snack built into their schedule.  Fine.  However, within fifteen minutes of my home a beautiful, brand new YMCA was just built.  I decided to take the tour.  New everything, beautiful pool, fitness center, etc.  Apparently as part of membership you can get up to three hours free childcare while you use the facility.  Perfect.  Well, for someone else, because of course they allow food in this area.  They have made it peanut and nut free, but that doesn't serve me any good with our list of food allergies.  After this morning, its already contaminated with food from pastry they served (which I suspect was not made in a nut free facility).  However, if the purpose of this room is short-term child-care, why must there be food?  I do not understand this.  I recall as a young child being dropped off at such a locale a few times.  My mother never sent me with food because she made sure to feed me before and after.  When did it become someone else's responsibility?  Why must food always be everywhere? 

While its one less place that will receive my business, its also one less place we can go.  Oh well.  No shocker in the life of this food-allergy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment