Monday, September 3, 2012

Fairy Wand

Today the topic of fairy wands came up in two separate conversations.  My mother-in-law mentioned a do-it-yourself version a friend had seen on Pinterest.  Soon after, not having heard this conversation, the Babe also mentioned wanting a fairy wand.  She had been given a beautiful fairy set of a head piece and skirt with sheer ribbon and rhinestones.  All that was apparently missing was the wand. 

Well, we just so happened to have had to make a trip to Jo-Ann's Fabric for an entirely different reason today.  They had Halloween costume items on display including fairy wands.  I didn't want to buy the one on display, so we walked the store looking for materials to make our own.  They had wooden dowels of varying dimensions, all a few feet in length.  I do not own a saw, so that created a little bit of a problem.  I bought a fairly thin dowel, and when I got home, opted to use an outdoor sheers.  If it can cut a tree branch, it should be able to do the same for a dowel.  It worked.  Then I took a regular emery board to file down the cut edge.  Voila!  I had some ribbon (purple with white polka dots) that I wrapped around it, using double sided tape to tack down the ends.  At the top, I attached two foam hearts, also using double sided tape.  It may not be the fanciest, but it serves its purpose (and cost less than $2 to make).  I added a little ribbon to the top, but otherwise, the wand is pictured below on top of the headpiece (that I did not make).

No comments:

Post a Comment