Wednesday, September 5, 2012

School Time

Yesterday we began our homeschool preschool.  The Babe was very excited by the idea of school, until the morning of.  However, once we got started she was very happy. 

The Babe is used to getting her way a lot.  Now that its time to try to introduce formal education concepts, its time to crush a bit of her free will.  It happens to all of us at some time.  Ok, so I exaggerate about crushing her independence, however, with education, one must follow directions.  This is what I am learning about- trying to instill an ability to follow directions.  Only two days and that's what I've learned. 

Yesterday when she wanted to do her own thing on a piece of paper, rather than what I told her to do, I had to remind her I was the teacher.  My role during that time is teacher, not mommy, and she is the student.  Students have to listen to the teacher.  After some pouting and arms crossed, she finally conceded, and returned to the lesson. 

Today went a little bit smoother.  At the end of the planned lesson she wanted to do more.  I found one more activity page for her to do involving a "book of me".  Its a page divided into sections for her to draw a picture of herself, her home, and her family.  This was very humorous to me, especially as she got to the part about her family.  She began to draw her baby, which was purple.  Then she drew her brown doggie.  Finally, Daddy, whom she noted has the same color skin as her, and Mommy, who she decided has yellow skin (we're all the same- I didn't realize my skin tone was that much different).  Then she drew her brother and sister who are blue.  Hmm, definitely a little poetic license in who makes up her family. 

While she's learning how to follow instructions, I'm working on being patient.  There are no outside distractions for us during this time (no t.v., Ipod, computer or phone).  This may be the most important factor for us- the time to truly connect.  While we spend so much time together during the day, there is nothing to pull me from giving her my undivided attention (how many times do I tell her to wait a minute while I finish washing a dish or doing something else?).  Now I just have to hope my penmanship skills aren't too bad, so that I'm not screwing up her education at its very start.

No comments:

Post a Comment