Monday, March 8, 2010

Try, Try Again

After this morning’s post, I thought about lunch. I’m so tired of the same things. I try to have variety in our diet, but with the food allergies we have a lot of limitations. Lunch winds up being leftovers when we have them, or else the standbys- hot dogs, turkey, and/or avocado for protein. So I thought I’d try something new.

I’ve wanted to make falafel from scratch for a while. The recipes never look too complicated. The mixes are out because they usually have wheat in them- one of the Babe’s allergens. In the March 2010 issue of Parenting, they had a recipe for Panfried Falafel. I modified the recipe a bit (a little too spicy), and went for it. And because I modified it, I completely forgot one ingredient that was obviously necessary for it to hold together. I just never got back to the pantry after I grabbed the canned chickpeas, leaving out the baking powder, so the experiment wasn’t entirely a success. I wouldn’t say it was a failure though. The result had good flavor, and could actually be used as a chickpea spread or dip. However, it wasn’t falafel. There will be a next time, and I’ll see if it works with the baking powder I left out.

As for the Babe, trying new foods is a little bit scary. I knew the Benadryl was within reach, and I had tried to feed her chickpeas once before. I couldn’t remember if she’d ever had anything with cumin in it before. So I put some of the failed falafel on a spoon for her to taste. She delicately stuck her tongue in it, and that was it. The positive was that there was no reaction physically to it, but she didn’t actually eat any. Next time I make it, hopefully it will have a more pleasing texture for her, and she’ll actually eat it. Try, try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment