Monday, March 22, 2010

Time to Bake

I’m reminded that we’re different when I talk to friends and family who can just pop into a restaurant for a meal or get take-out, without the fear of an allergic reaction in their child. I never fantasized about having my child in a high chair in a restaurant, pushing food around while ogling the other diners. And I can’t even comprehend feeding my child pizza- real, doughy, cheesy, pizza. But those seem to be considered routine in others’ lives, while I spend my time in the kitchen, every day, at least 3 times daily, preparing meals.

This weekend, despite being sick, I made pancakes. Not once, but twice. I tried two separate recipes. One was from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, for which I substituted Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, added Xantham gum, and substituted flaxseed meal for the egg. The other recipe was from an allergy cookbook, so all those substitutions were already figured out. There were a few additional ingredients in the second batch, but they all tasted the same to me. Then again, my taste buds may be off due to my cold. My husband enjoyed them, and the Allergy Babe ate one or two pancakes, which is a great meal for her. The Babe certainly enjoys baked goods, which means I need to get back in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment