Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Comfort Food

I’m sick, and would like to have some comfort food…or the comfort of someone else feeding us. That’s not going to happen for a few reasons. We live too far from family (over 10 hours by car), and with the Allergy Babe, I’m not comfortable bringing in outside food that I didn’t oversee the preparation of.

Pre-allergies, having a simple lunch of a hard-boiled egg and toast, or some cottage cheese, would have been easy. Perfect when you're sick, and no one's there to take care of you. But none of those foods are allowed in our house due to her being allergic to each. Using Imagine Foods Vegetable Broth, I made some soup with onion, carrots, mushrooms, and shells made of corn and quinoa. I figured the Babe would at least eat the noodles, but that would have been too easy. She likes the noodles, but not with the broth. And the rest was of no interest to her. Luckily I had leftover beef and plain noodles for her.

It would be nice if just once I could get her to eat a complete meal I make for her. Silly to think my toddler would do precisely what I want her to do. Today, happily, she ate lunch, even if it wasn’t what was on the original menu. Not too much found its way to the floor, either. Ergo, a successful meal.

1 comment: