Sunday, March 14, 2010

Picky Eater

Getting my Allergy Babe to eat is as much, if not more, of a challenge than coping with her food allergies. I keep feeding her what has worked in days or weeks prior, but her likes and dislikes change day by day. This requires me to try to introduce her to new foods and re-introducing her to old foods. However, since I don’t have a staff to cook and clean-up after both her and myself, I try to limit the new foods to one item at a meal, versus an entire meal. Several friends have recommended getting a dog- not for the companionship but because they’ll eat all the bits of food the Babe throws onto the floor.

Friday at lunch I attempted to give the Babe soup. She’s not much into soup, so figured this wasn’t a likely success. But if I don’t try, we’ll never know. I had a packaged base- Imagine brand’s Creamy Potato Leek Soup. Sounds good, but its just ok. It’s nondairy, which is probably why it’s not as rich, although a good attempt. I added a whole russet potato, peeled and cubed, as well as a dash of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and a dab of Earth Balance Buttery Spread (non-dairy margarine). I enjoyed it, but the Babe was not interested. I thought there was a possibility she might eat the potatoes, minus the soup, but to no avail. So it was back to the standbys- lima beans, avocado, and sliced turkey for her.

Friday night and Saturday night dinners were also unsuccessful. I think I know why. Both evenings I utilized the crockpot. One night was chicken breasts, the other tip steak. Both were cooked with bottled marinara and water. They were both tasty, but the little one disagreed. She’ll eat other crockpot-cooked meals when made with diced tomatoes, so I think its something in the marinara that she finds unpalatable. Up until recently, I tried to keep seasonings limited for her, but thought she might be ready for more flavor. I’m not giving up yet, but will forget about marinara for her for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment