Monday, March 8, 2010

Live to Eat or Eat to Live?

Do you live to eat, or eat to live? I’m somewhere in the middle. However, I would say I live in a household that is food obsessed. Being a stay-at-home mom, I’m constantly trying to figure out what to feed my toddler. I generally forget myself in that equation, and wind up eating her scraps or the same meal of odds and ends she has since she’s a picky eater. Dinner is a different story though, in that I generally plan at least a day ahead what we’re eating. That is because I have to defrost meat, and don’t want to run out to the store for last minute items when that means a 10 minute drive to and from the store with the Babe (add time for car seat manipulations).

When I worked full time, I was more food obsessed for myself. Morning time I would be wondering where I’d go for lunch and even what we were going to do/have for dinner. At that time, there was a lot less planning since grocery stores and restaurants were so much more convenient. We now live in an area that does not carry certain items I rely on to cook, so I have to mail order or pick up foods several hours away. And with my Food Allergy Babe, frozen and packaged convenience foods and take-out are no longer an option. Luckily for my husband, my cooking has improved… or else his tolerance for it has grown.

So in a little bit, I’ll go get my warm, snuggly little girl out of her crib when she wakes up, and after the cuddles and diaper change, try to get her to eat. And so our day begins.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! You're blogging! Since I'm not on Facebook, reading blogs is the only way I can keep up with people!

    ReplyDelete