Thursday, March 11, 2010

Breakfast time

I may presently live in the South, but I don’t know much about grits. Nor do I particularly want to. On occasion, I’ll eat the instant grits by Quaker Oats. The best part to me is the saltiness of it. I generally make it tight, not runny. So this morning when I was trying to figure out what to have for breakfast, I didn’t want any of my usual options. There are only 2 dry breakfast cereals that we have due to the Allergy Babe- Corn flakes and Corn Chex. I could have had the muffins from yesterday. They came out well with just a slightly different texture. That left fruit, oatmeal, or instant grits. Standing in front of my pantry, I didn’t want any of those options. So why not make more work for myself, and try something new? I pulled out the package of corn meal that’s been sitting there unused since Thanksgiving when I made cornbread. On the back is a recipe for “corn mush”. I figured that its probably grits. Doesn’t sound too appealing when you read the word “mush” to describe your food, but figured I was bored with my options, and would try something different.

I did follow the recipe, and it came out mushy. Yes, not a surprise there. If I had let it go longer, I think it would have gelatinized a little and been a loosely formed polenta. So I poured the mush into a bowl, added a dollop of margarine, and added more salt. And voila, mushy grits! Can’t say I’ll be doing this again anytime soon, but it was a distraction and I got fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment