Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!  We have a lot to be thankful for.  I am most thankful for my family, both immediate and extended.  In particular, everyone's health and wellness is the number one reason to be thankful.  Besides being reminded to give thanks for what we have (tangible and intangible), it is also a day to indulge in a bit of gluttony.  Forget calorie counting, who cares about carbs.  I look forward to the food.

Just because we live with major food allergies, doesn't mean we can't enjoy.  The turkey is not my favorite thing to cook (I'm happy to eat it), but boy was I proud of it when it came out of the oven golden brown.  And I don't think it was particularly dry either. 

So, in case you were wondering how we celebrated Thanksgiving without gluten (wheat, rye, or barley products), eggs, or dairy, this was my feast menu:
- Whole Turkey slow cooked in the oven
- Fresh cranberry jelly
- Cornbread
- Candied sweet potatoes (with orange and spice)
- Green bean casserole
- Stuffing (made with a rice-based GF bread)
- Baby potatoes (really only made for the Babe's benefit, who didn't have more than a bite)
- Apple crisp
- Both vanilla and pumpkin flavored non-dairy ice creams.

We ate round one early enough in the day that I got to enjoy a smaller version for a late dinner.  And after spending the past two days preparing this feast, I'm sure you're wondering how the Babe enjoyed the meal?  She looked like she was going to eat it, slathered on a lot of margarine onto a slice of cornbread, mushed around a potato, and maybe had a little bite of turkey and potato (not really sure).  About 2 1/2 hours later she opted to have a hot dog and french fries.  I suspect soon she will be having some cereal.  Oh well.  At least the adults got to enjoy it, and I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment