Monday, November 21, 2011

Is It Thursday Yet?

Have I mentioned I'm excited about Thanksgiving?  Well, my only concern is timing and oven space.  The turkey was taken out yesterday to defrost.  I will be watching it closely so as not to have the same issues I had during Passover, although I know worst case scenario I can finish thawing it in water.  I have a good sized oven, but don't know what will fit in it besides the turkey.  This time I will make sure to take out all the racks but the bottom one when I start the turkey (again, to avoid what I did last time).  This way if I have the room, I can add a rack later.  And I will not be using a bag- again, lesson learned!

In addition to the turkey, I have several other menu items.  One of my favorites is my green bean casserole.  Oddly enough, we didn't have that too often growing up, and I don't recall it ever being on our family's holiday menu.  My recipe does not contain cream of mushroom soup (which contains wheat and most also have dairy).  It is very simple, but I'm proud to say I can make this from scratch.  Here's my recipe:

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole
1/2 stick (1/4 C) margarine
1/4 cup GF All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups No-Chicken Chicken broth (or use vegetable or regular chicken broth)
1 Tbsp GF Tamari *
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 14 oz. cans of green beans.
1 C GF corn flake crumbs**
2-3 tbsp margarine**

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the margarine, and then add the flour to make a rue.  Stir in the vegetable broth, soy sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder until the sauce thickens.  It will take a few minutes.  If the sauce doesn't thicken, add another 1-2 tsp of flour.
3. Drain the liquid from the canned green beans.  Add to the thickened sauce.
4. Melt the additional 2-3 tbsp margarine in a separate dish, then stir in the corn flakes crumb to the margarine.
5. Pour the green bean mixture into your baking dish.  Top with the corn flake crumbs.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.

*If you don't have gluten issues, you can substitute soy sauce for the Tamari
** The corn flake crumb mixed with margarine is an estimated measurement.  You will need enough to cover your casserole dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment