Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dance Class

The Babe has now attended two dance classes.  She loves it.  Its wonderful to watch her bounce around with the other children.  Its a place where you don't see any difference, she's just a typical three year old having fun.  Its a small class, and somehow the Babe at times seems the most outspoken, although there is another little girl who clearly thrives on the attention, too.

So how are the allergies being handled?  As we drove home from her first class, the Babe requested her inhaler.  I don't think she really needed it, but after hearing that all her classmates had to wash their hands, it somehow put a thought in her head that they made her ill.  So, I gave it to her while I drove (she was able to self-medicate), and she was fine.  The second class I was a little calmer for, but kept a close eye on her.  An occasional yawn, but nothing else, until she was walking out of the class.  She was rubbing her right eye, and sure enough, a few bumps or hives were visible just under her eye.  We went into the bathroom where I wet a paper towel to put on her eye.  Then, in the car, I offered her Benadryl, but she declined.  I decided to drive home while watching her in the mirror.  Nothing worsened, and by the time we made it home, the bumps had mostly faded.  We washed up again in the bathroom, and applied a wet towel.  I tried to give her some Benadryl, but after only a sip, she didn't want any more.  Since the hives were fading, I didn't push.  I stripped her of her dance gear, and we went up to her room to change.  She then played in the sink with a washcloth, slapping it to her face and getting water all over.  After that, whatever caused her eye to itch and the hives to pop were clearly taken care of and she was fine.

So am I going to run away and hide?  No, we're going to try again.  She needs this class.  She needs something to do with other kids in a safe environment.  I will need to remind the parents about hand washing, but realize nothing will be perfect.  Hopefully, no more issues, but if there are, I'll do my best to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment