Sunday, July 8, 2012

Prescription Warnings

Food allergies are on the rise, but the knowledge base isn't entirely keeping up with the problem.  I have learned more from other Moms than I have from a nutritionist or allergist. 

Every time the Babe requires a new prescription, I ask about cross-reactions.  Her last major illness had my husband picking up her prescriptions.  We were prescribed a new big regimen for her asthma after the illness cleared up, but as her asthma had improved we held off on the plan.  I am very glad we did. 

While we filled the prescription, the pharmacy clearly did not catch the fact that one of the drugs is not to be used by those with milk protein allergies.  And yes, it is in the pharmacy's system, a national database, that she has a milk allergy.  How did I find out about this issue?  Through an allergy group on Facebook in a random discussion.  When I went to the website for that specific drug, the second paragraph of warnings clearly states: "Do not use XXXX if you have severe allergy to milk proteins".  I will be going to the pharmacy later to discuss this with them.  I'm very upset by this, and so want to lash out, but will try to do my best to remain polite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment