Monday, August 22, 2011

Change of Season

My internal clock must be telling me something.  I've been itching to make soup and bread and other baked goods for a week or two now.  I've also been starting to look forward to wearing sweaters.  Either I'm planning to pack on some pounds, or fall is approaching. 

Today I took the Babe to a nearby Farmer's Market and picked up a monster of a zucchini.  It was about two feet in length, and called to me, "bake me in bread".  Part one of my day's workout involved grating by hand half of that zucchini.  I followed Bob's Red Mill's recipe, substituting flax seed for the eggs, and now have several mini loaves on my counter top.  Hopefully I won't be eating it all or else I'll be hiding behind some sweaters very fast.

My second workout had many benefits.  The Babe and I played soccer, and I made her occasionally chase me and the ball.  Rather than just kicking it back and forth, we got some running in.  She got fresh air, some vitamin D, and a little exercise, as did I.  The other benefit is she is now napping, something she has not done in weeks.  I'm extremely thrilled here.  While she's sleeping, I am cooking dinner.  The rest of that zucchini just got tossed in some homemade vegetable soup that's simmering away.  Its a very fall-ish dinner between the hearty soup and oven baked chicken.  That's ok, my stomach apparently knows no season.  Hopefully I can control my portions a bit so I can hold off on wearing those sweaters, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment