Saturday, August 27, 2011

Musings

I really wanted Chocolate tonight, but didn't want to bake (or clean up anything else).  Since I wanted something warm to drink, I made myself a cup of cocoa.  Most people I know probably only make it with the instant packets, but those are not allergy safe for us.  So, with a cup of Enriched Vanilla soy milk, some Hershey's cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and a splash of vanilla extract, I now have a nice warm cup of chocolate. 

I may be having a winter drink, but we've had gorgeous end of summer/beginning of fall weather today.  This afternoon we took a drive with the Babe, and then stopped by a large local grocery store that has a great selection of, well, just about everything.  While looking at some gluten free baking mixes in the gluten free aisle, we struck up a conversation with one woman, and soon another joined in.  Probably because most people are in that section of the store for a special reason, you can't help but chatting up which mix is better, or what sensitivity/allergy/illness you or a relative has.  Its nice, because no where else in our community have I seen that opportunity to arise, to share our stories.  Rather, its me explaining why the Babe can't touch this or do that because of the risk of something.  Here we all had something familiar, and understood.  I can get that community on the internet through various groups I've found, but its nice to have a face to face discussion.

And speaking of community, its been interesting to see how people are handling the anticipated hurricane on the east coast.  What has been brought up by a few groups that I follow online are how to prepare if you are coping with food allergies.  Most parents have to cook or bake special for their food allergic child (or adult).  What would you stock-pile?  My list, based on what the Babe would eat, would probably be cereal, soy milk, fresh fruits and vegetables, and potato chips.  Long term without refrigeration and cooking abilities would be devastating.  So hopefully the predictions are off, and any power outages out east will be brief.  In the meantime, I will be thankful for what we have, and remember that my list of complaints are insignificant compared to what others are coping with tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment