Monday, August 8, 2011

Early Riser

The Babe is generally not an early riser, unless you count her waking up at 2 a.m. calling for me.  So last night was wonderful because I got her to bed before 10 p.m., and not a peep during the night.  But alas, the morning came early in our house.  The Babe usually doesn't wake up until sometime between 8 and 9:30 a.m.  At about 6:15 a.m. she called for me.  Hoping she'd go back to sleep if I went into her bed, or offered a drink, I was out of luck.  She opened her blind to look outside, and begged for t.v.  Well, I'm sticking to that "no t.v. before 8 a.m." rule.  After trying to con her into going back to sleep in my bed, she then brushed her teeth with Daddy while he got ready for work (no, I didn't hide in bed, I was standing right next to her).  Eventually we came downstairs. 

So what did we do after we ate?  I baked, of course!  It was on my agenda for the morning, and it didn't matter what time.  So I have blondies baking that we will be taking to my grandmother's home later today.  The following is my recipe, adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (1996).

Blondies
2 cups packed golden brown sugar
10 Tbsp. Earth Balance Buttery sticks (or other non-dairy margarine)
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (non-dairy)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13x9x2 baking pan.
2. Combine 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp. water.  Set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine.  Then add brown sugar, stir constantly until margarine dissolves.  Then remove pan from heat.
4. Stir in flaxseed-water mixture into pan.  Stir in vanilla.  Gradually stir in flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and baking soda, until fully combined.
5. Pour mixture into pan.  Sprinkle chocolate chips across top.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until done.
Let cool slightly, then cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment