Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Sunday

Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday. Besides watching the game and of course, the commercials, we had to have some treats. We started off with corn chips and guacamole. For dinner, I made pizza. It all felt fairly normal for game-night fare. However, as you now know, we don't do typical here.

Gluten-Free Vegan pizza is a challenge. I've tried allergy-safe versions in the past, but last night I was pleased with the results. There were a few options for crusts. I have in my pantry Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust mix. However, I was too lazy to deal with using a hand-mixer and the anticipated mess. Another option was to make a crust using Chebe bread mix. However, when I opened my fridge, I became inspired. Out came the GF Bisquick Mix. On the package is a recipe for pizza crust. Subbing in flax seed for the eggs, I followed the recipe (plus a dash or two of salt). Now that the Babe is not allergic to rice, I got to try Daiya shredded cheese. It lived up to what I had read about it- its pretty close to the real thing. I made the pizza crust, topped it with jarred marinara, and the fake mozzarella by Daiya. I enjoyed it. Now, no mention of the Babe enjoying it because she declined to eat it. Oh well. She had pasta.

What would have balanced out the meal would have been a salad, but we were too stuffed. Tonight's menu included salad. I thought I'd share my recipe for a creamy dressing, similar to Ranch. The following is one individual serving. Since I used Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream in lieu of sour cream, it has about 85 calories and 5 g of fat per serving...not bad!

Creamy Dressing (Faux Ranch)
2 Tbsp Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
a few dashes of salt

Mix all ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment