Friday, February 18, 2011

The Sweet Smell of Toast

We have a new bread, and it taste like regular white bread. No grit nor cardboard today. Today we had toast again (a seemingly regular item now on the morning menu), and enjoyed it. Really enjoyed. Tried not to eat the entire package enjoyed it. And we can get it again, soon, if we want to or need to.

Yesterday we went to the Gluten Free Trading Company in Milwaukee, WI. It was our first visit. We live within 30 minutes of it. Its a small shop, but has plenty of options. Shhh- I even got gluten-free licorice which I will be hoarding. Sorry, but no sharing. My husband can eat whatever when he's at work, so he doesn't need to know.

In case you were wondering, I have several sources for all our specialty items. Obviously they vary by locale and price, but I am happy to be in a location that provides for options. When we lived in Northwest Arkansas, my options consisted of Ozark Natural Foods in Fayetteville, AR, and Amazon.com. I would buy my chocolate chips when I visited my parents, and some other odds and ends, but otherwise that was where I got most specialty items, like vegan cheese and other gluten free items. For the most part, our needs were met. If you're in that part of the country, I recommend stopping by ONF. Now though I have even broader options.

Presently, most of my gluten free items are purchased at Woodman's grocery store, a local store that seems to carry just about everything in the world. I can also buy gluten free items at Sentry Foods (Albertsons) and Pik-n-Save (Roundy's), which are both within a few miles of my home. For vegan cheese, I go to Whole Foods in Milwaukee. Some other items and for meat I go to Trader Joe's in Milwaukee. I don't have to chase the ends of the Earth for these products, and other than Whole Foods and the Gluten Free Trading Company, the other places are part of my regular shopping trips, and all within 30 minutes of home. I still buy a few items on Amazon, but usually just corn pasta in bulk. I don't order as much of it, now that we can have rice pasta too. Now I just need to use a little self control as my pantry is bursting at the seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment