Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vegan Thursday

Meatless Mondays seem to be gaining in popularity, although I haven't hopped on the bandwagon. While I would love to eat more vegetarian meals, its difficult when we don't have eggs, wheat or dairy in our household. That limits us to vegan meals, which is doable if you don't have a picky toddler that you're trying to feed. And I HATE the idea of making multiple meals for dinner. I cave enough with rules in this household, such as having the Babe sleep in her own bed at night (working on it), that making two or three different menus for one night is not going to happen. Ok, on occasion when we're begging her to eat, but not tonight.

Tonight though we are doing Vegan Thursday. Why? Because I didn't bother to defrost any meat, and have no intention of driving to the store to get some. Not sure yet what else, if anything, I'm making for the Babe. However, for my husband and myself, I will be making eggplant, pasta, and a root vegetable soup.

Here's where the eggplant is kind of funny. I know, how often do we laugh at eggplant? (Can you tell I'm a little sleep deprived if I'm making really dumb jokes?) Anyhow, I plan to make the eggplant as if I were making Eggplant Parm. I do not have any faux mozzarella though, but last time I did this, we opined we didn't need it. Since there will be no Parmesan, nor any attempt at a cheese-like substance, it can't even be a pretend Eggplant Parmesan.

It is easy, and should be tasty. I will bread the eggplant by lightly dipping it in Rich's nondairy creamer, then cornflakes crumbs mixed with Italian seasoning. Broil it briefly on both sides, and then layer it in a dish with marinara. Then it will be baked, and served over pasta. Between that and the soup, I think I've got dinner covered. Now its time for me to go start making some soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment