Thursday, September 15, 2011

Counting Down

Less than a week until my in-laws visit.  I can't wait.  No, that is not sarcasm.  Can you hear my sigh of relief?  I have had a week of incomplete, unsatisfactory sleep.  I feel like I haven't slept in days.  My parents dropped by yesterday and even offered to watch the Babe while I napped.  Unfortunately, despite being extremely tired, I couldn't sleep.  A missed opportunity, although I did try to take advantage of it.

It also didn't help that just before falling asleep last night (eyes shut, almost dreaming), the Babe announced she had to go potty.  When it was time to put the diaper back on, she was goofing around, I told her to stand up, and instead of just standing up, she vaulted upright into my lower jaw, forcing lower teeth into upper teeth with my tongue in the middle, resulting in blood and pain on my part.  Once we all finally got to sleep, I transferred her to her own bed, only to have her wake at 4 a.m.  I went into her bed for 30-45 minutes, then returned to mine, and was out until I blearily noticed my husband getting ready for work this morning.  I then set my alarm for an hour later since we had some service people coming.  Approximately five minutes later (and after my husband had already left) the doorbell rang.  One of the guys was told to come at 7:15 a.m. by his company instead of 9 a.m.  So, I am sleep deprived, verging on cranky or angry depending on the moment you catch me.  Hence, I cannot wait for my in-laws to visit. 

When Papa and Gram come to visit, they usually spend a good chunk of their time on the floor playing with the Babe.  I sit back, and enjoy watching them (or wander off to play on the computer or bake something uninterrupted or read a magazine, etc.).  While they offer help in many ways, the best is their entertaining the Babe (and vice versa).   Generally I try to get up before or at the same time as them to make sure they don't need anything (despite them being perfectly capable of fending for themselves).  As of this moment, when all I want to do is sleep, I'm already thinking ahead to sleeping in in a few more days...if I can hold out that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment