Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lentil Soup

My husband has been enjoying the lentil soup I made a few weeks back.  It made so much that I was able to freeze several portions.  My in-laws are visiting, so for today I made a fresh batch for lunch.  Now that I've made it a second time, I think it will be added to my repertoire.  Its hearty because of the lentils and stew meat, although can be made vegan without the meat.  If you make it meatless, it is a very inexpensive meal, with the addition of a fresh loaf of bread. 

Lentil Soup
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1-1.5 lbs stew meat, cut up into thin pieces/slivers
1 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 package dried lentils
1 package washed spinach (6-9 oz)
9 1/2 cups water
Salt

1. Saute onions and carrots in oil until softened, about 10 minutes. 
2. Add in stew meat, brown.
3. Add garlic, bay leaf, ginger, curry powder, and cumin.  Stir.  Add water and lentils.  Stir.
4. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes. 
5. Add in spinach, and gently stir as spinach wilts.  Add in salt (about 1-2 tsp). Cook for another 30-45 minutes.  Towards end of cooking, taste soup and add salt if necessary.  Remove bay leaf before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment