Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reasons to Stay Vigilant

I've posted before about how we have to read labels on everything to make sure none of the Babe's allergens are in food or home products.  Well here are two prime examples of why we need to remain vigilant.

The Babe has beautiful curls halfway down her back.  Well, some are halfway, and some are tightly kinked up in one big knot at the back of her head.  She doesn't like her hair combed or brushed, and won't let me try to use a detangler (although I'm afraid to try any new chemical).  Well a friend who is a former hair stylist suggested applying some hair conditioner, and letting it sit, then try to pick out the tangles.  Here's the reason we need to stay vigilant.  I found a children's hair care brand online sold at a major beauty retailer.  I emailed the company, listed the Babe's allergens, and asked if the detangler or conditioner had it in them.  I'm not seeking any trade secrets, so figured its better to tell them the ingredients and let them say yes or no.  Well, they were very nice in their reply, but their products contain wheat and gluten.  Hence, we won't be using their product.  She said to check back in a year, because they are looking into changing their ingredients due to allergies.  As I said, very nice company, just sorry we can't use their product.

Here's the worst example of the two.  This information was posted on a few sites, include the Facebook page, "Kids With Food Allergies".  Apparently one major store's house brand children's ibuprofen has listed on its label that its gluten free.  That's great.  What's not great is that on the list of actual drug ingredients, the very last ingredient is whey protein concentrate.  Whey is a milk derivative.  Milk is a potentially lethal ingredient for my child.  Hence, if I didn't read labels or became aware of labels like this, we'd be in the ER for simply treating a fever with a reputable pharmaceutical.  So, if you think I'm crazy because I worry about wearing hand lotion or what might be in a children's vitamin, I hope you realize I'm really not.

No comments:

Post a Comment