Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ode to a Kitchen Appliance

Woe is me!  I had to throw out an appliance.  That was after I had to throw out an entire pot of soup that I was really looking forward to.  I've been recollecting a wonderful soup I had years ago while having lunch out with my mother.  It was some kind of creamy pea soup.  Trying to find a recipe for it online, it may have be an English Pea Soup.  It was green, creamy, flavorful, and probably one of the best things I've had in a restaurant.  So I decided to attempt something of the sort tonight.  I sauteed leeks and onions, threw in chicken stock, frozen green peas, and some diced potato.  It was coming along, and just needed to be pureed.  I didn't know why I kept hearing some crunching noises.  The potatoes should have been cooked through.  I sampled, and it needed to be creamed some more.  More crunching noises.  Alas, the plastic petals surrounding the blade on my immersion blender had somehow cracked, and one was gone and another half off.  As I was not making puree of plastic soup for dinner, bye-bye to the pot of green soup that resembled baby food.  I don't think my husband is too upset at this loss (other than the waste of time and money).  Fear not, for I shall replace the stick blender very soon and will attempt this once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment