Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pizza Night

I definitely have been baking more lately.  This week I made faux peanut butter cookies, wheat-free chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip muffins (this morning), and a loaf of bread in my bread machine (yesterday).  So today my husband asked if we could try making pizza.  As soon as the Babe heard that, she was on board.  She's been asking for pizza every so often.  Since I had fake mozzarella cheese in my fridge and a pizza dough crust mix in my pantry, how could I say no?  Well, when I finally realized I wanted to say no, it was too late, so I went ahead with it.

The pizza crust mix is by Bob's Red Mill.  I used ground flax seed instead of eggs, but otherwise followed the instructions.  Once it came time to spreading it out on the baking sheet, it had a kind of funny texture, not a tight dough.  I had to wet my hands frequently to spread it across, but got it to fill the sheet.  On top, I added jarred marinara, some fresh basil from my sister's garden, and topped it with Teese Vegan Mozzarella Cheese.  The Babe was very excited and wanted it right away.  Of course, the cheese trapped in heat, so we tried to get her to wait a bit, but she still ate it when it was hot.  Overall, not bad.  Granted, I wouldn't serve it to company, but we'll probably do it again.  It was definitely better than my prior attempt with Bisquick and Daiya, and this fake cheese has not caused me any stomach pains.  Next time I'll add some Italian seasoning to the dough, but otherwise I think we have a new treat.  The Babe definitely enjoyed it.  It was great to see her enjoy her mini pieces of pizza, especially as she's not a big sauce person.  She kept asking for more cheese too.  I'm hoping one day I can fulfill that request with the real thing, but in the meantime, we've got a nice alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment