Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brrrrr

Its good to plan for a rainy day, or in today's case, a frigid day.  Today would have been the Babe's second kiddie gym class.  However, after getting her into snow pants and boots, the phone rang.  As the windshield had reached -11 degrees...yes, that is negative eleven degrees, they cancelled today's class.  When I broke the news to the Babe, her face fell, and she immediately burst into tears.  I was dreading taking her out into the cold, so I was happy they made the call, but felt bad for the Babe who was so looking forward to playing with the other kids. 

Did I have a back-up plan for this?  No, but I quickly offered to do a craft project.  She likes to glue (glue stick and construction paper that I cut into shapes).  Not my favorite thing, but I immediately offered that up to her.  I also had bought a while ago a safety scissor, and figured today was a good day to bring that out.  Once the tears were dried, she jumped right into it, thrilled to be using a scissors for the first time.  She cut lines all along the edges of the paper, then ripped off chunks for me to glue.  After we finished, we watched a little t.v., and then went up to play in her room.  The second bonus for her today was a reserved holiday gift.  She had gotten so much this year that we held an item back.  It was a box with a few wooden learning toys.  Out that came, and she was thrilled.  I suspect this is going to be a long winter, so I better have a few "surprises" or activities planned for those future snowy, rainy, windy, or frigid days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment