Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sweet Scent

Today, while packing my bag for the gym, I went on the hunt for some shampoo.  I'd been using a travel size bottle that I tossed the other day, but didn't replace in the interim.  I thought I might have a small bottle of J & J baby shampoo in the Babe's bathroom that was never used.  Instead, I found an 8 oz bottle of baby shampoo and body wash that we had gotten as part of a baby gift for the Babe.  It was made by an upscale soap company that makes more organic products.  However, due to the Babe's eczema, anything with scent was never used.  It had just been sitting in the bathroom, unused.  Yes, a couple years old, but still good.  So I took it with me. 

Here's what got me pondering.  It smelled lovely...for me.  A grown up with no known sensitivities.  However, I could not imagine bathing an infant in such heavily scented soap.  Babies smell sweet enough without any added fragrance, and why add perfume to something so fresh and delicate?  Yes, the smell of most baby soaps are sweet.  However, this specially formulated shampoo/body wash had honeysuckle, geranium, and orange amongst the ingredients, and was actually almost over-powering for my senses.  Despite being organic, what is wrong with just plain old soap?  In the end, I now have shampoo in my gym bag that smells lovely, will last a long time, and I didn't have to spend a dime.  And I'll smell fresh as a baby, or rather, a very perfumey flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment