Monday, January 9, 2012

Contact Reaction

While I find the following question annoying, I can now answer it.  When I explain the Babe's allergies, I always get asked, if she is "contact" allergic.  Meaning, if she somehow comes into skin contact with one of her allergens, will she react?  The answer is YES. 

How did we learn this?  Well, since we take as many precautions as possible to not expose her to her allergens, it wasn't an obvious thing until today.  After being away from the gym and Kiddie Korral during the holiday break, we returned for the first time today.  It was unavailable to us for three weeks while they hosted kids who were on winter school breaks.  I do not know if anyone even used any of the equipment that she uses.  However, this morning when I went to pick her up, she was seated at a kiddie table coloring with an adult.  She was rubbing an eye, but that could have been anything.  We rinsed her eye, and headed home.  After washing her hands, she sat at the kitchen table to have a snack and started to rub her left wrist against the table.  Clearly it was bothering her.  I took a look, and she had several hives over about a two square inch area.  My guess is that while coloring with her right hand, she propped her left wrist against the kiddie table and was against some residue of one of her allergens.  It took about twenty minutes for the hives to go down, but then she was itchy all over.  Put her in the shower, and so far, so good.  However, this means I will be on hive watch the rest of the day.  If you couldn't guess, living with food allergies is not fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment