Sunday, June 19, 2011

Packing

We will be heading home soon, but for now are still with my in-laws.  The trip that was to last 9 days turned into 2 weeks due to the Babe getting sick.  During the course of this trip we have dealt with a wound that has taken too long to heal, minor skin irritations, and of course, asthmatic bronchitis.  We have found out the Babe is not allergic to Hydrogen Peroxide, Neosporin, or Neutrogena Baby sunscreen. We have reconfirmed that she hates Prednisolone, an oral steroid.  Despite all this, the Babe has gotten to enjoy time with her grandparents, and playing in the pool.

This is why when I pack for a trip, I need to plan for what if.  What if we get delayed, and what if she gets sick.  This is the first trip that I can recall that I did not travel with a thermometer.  Looks like I learned my lesson!  At least I had everything else I needed (Tylenol, inhaler, Neosporin, etc.).  I wanted to pack one more item, but opted not to.  I wanted to take a couple teaspoons of xanthan gum in my suitcase.  You're wondering what that is and why would I need it?  Xanthan gum is a key ingredient to gluten free baking, a necessity for textural reasons.  I figured if I did any baking I'd need it.  Its sold in a large bag, costs about $10, and you only need about a teaspoon at a time.  Rather than buy it for nominal baking, I figured I could pack some away.   But I didn't know what TSA would think if they found a little ziplock baggie in my luggage with a white powdery substance in it.  How many people travel with xanthan gum?  I doubt most TSA agents (or anyone for that matter) even know what xanthan gum is.  So I opted to leave it at home, and do without.  I attempted to bake without it- that's right, getting wild here and breaking all the rules!  I made cookies a few time, and each time they came out a little differently.  They weren't bad from a taste perspective, but texturally not sure.  When I get home I'll try them one more time and then post my results.  In the meantime, hoping no more surprises on this trip, and wishing everyone a Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment