Thursday, June 2, 2011

Need a little Wine with my Whine

Today is just one of those days where things haven't quite been in sync.  It started with a trip to the ENT/surgeon for the Babe.  We've had a few post-surgical issues with healing that have required some follow-up.  His office is 28 miles from the house.  In normal traffic, we get there in about 30 minutes.  Today, due to added congestion plus an accident, from our house to checking in at his office, 60 minutes.  That meant we were twenty minutes late.  I hate being late, and try my best to be on time for physicians.  I know how easy it is to screw up a whole day's schedule with one late person.  So being this late is a stressor for me.  Once we got there, we had to wait, which was only fair based on the circumstances.  The physician and his PA spent a good amount of time with us, explaining a few things.  For the most part, we could have been done in five minutes, but for some reason they seemed happy to linger.  Afterwards, while waiting to schedule a follow-up appointment, the Babe wanted to play with the toys in the waiting room.  That was fine, until it was time to go.  Apparently I have the only child who wants to stay at the doctor's office.  Finally I had to carry her out.  Oh, the joys of walking through a Children's Hospital carrying a crying and screaming child.  We were the only ones leaving the hospital likes this.  Kind of embarrassing, but just sucked it up and kept moving.  She kept crying that she wanted to go back to the doctor. 

Part Two of the fun-filled morning was trying to get her into the carseat.  Part of it was spent forcibly trying to get her into her seat without hurting either of us, and then temporarily giving up and waiting her out while she threw a fit on the opposite side of the car.  I sat in the passenger seat a good 15-20 minutes waiting her out at one point.  Negotiations did not work.  Threats did not work.  Silence did not work.  On top of this, I was supposed to meet old friends for lunch.  So while I was trying to stay calm while she carried on, I had to cancel the sitter and my plans.  Granted, the stand-off would have, and did, eventually end.  However, my sitter had to get to another job by a certain time, and between traffic to home, then to the lunch locale, and eventually back, it would have been a rushed lunch.  Plus, I was frustrated and annoyed that I would not have been pleasant company at that moment.  So I got to punish her and myself by cancelling my plans. 

Once home, there was no t.v. allowed for a while.  Again, we both got punished.  Its back on now.  Soon, I will attempt to get her to nap.  Two problems here.  First, her bedding is all in the wash (furniture repair guy got some chemicals on them yesterday).  Secondly, she napped on the way home post-tantrum.  And even better, my husband will be late tonight.  So, I'm going to try to find a zen-like state while I get through the rest of the afternoon, because as soon as my husband gets home, I'm either a) going shopping (anywhere even if its just for a box of kleenex), or b) having a big drink, or c) all of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment