Monday, June 20, 2011

You Stink!

Most children learn by mirroring or mimicking what is around them.  That's how babies learn to smile back at adults, because we generally spend a lot of time smiling at them.  The same goes for aspects of language.  Hence, have to remember when there are little ears nearby. 

When the Babe has a dirty diaper, we may laughingly tell her she stinks.  So she in turn thinks its hilarious to make the same comment if there are certain odors in the air, not that that happens in our house!   Anyhow, while waiting in line to board the plane today, certain odors were emanating nearby (source unknown).  As soon as the Babe noticed it, she immediately looked at me and said, "You stink!"  I quickly responded that it was not me, but someone else.  Believe me, it wasn't me.  There is no way I would repeat this story otherwise, as I would have been mortified.  Instead, I tried to make it clear that it was not me, and tried to get her to stop saying that.  Thankfully the line started moving, and we were able to board the plane. 

And now we are home!  For those with their own allergy-babes, flying is a bit of roulette.  The Babe has flown often, and thankfully we have had no incidents.  I wipe everything off around us with wipes.  I have learned to wipe the seatbelt and the armrest, especially after one flight when she decided to taste them.  While that is beyond disgusting to someone without food allergies, multiply the experience when you have to worry what food microbes might be lingering.  I tell the flight crew when we board a plane that we have a child with food allergies and we carry an epi-pen.  Most take it seriously and are solicitous, some just stare at us blankly.  Today I had great service both at the gate when I tried to move our seats so no one would be adjacent to us (from a 3 seat side to 2 seat), as well as the stewardesses on board who were happy to note as we left that there were no problems.  So today's travel experience was a plus, and the only thing that stank about it, well, it wasn't us!

No comments:

Post a Comment