Sunday, June 26, 2011

Paranoia

I got my haircut yesterday.  When I came home, my husband didn't have a clue.  I repeatedly told him, showed him the layers I had added, and he still didn't believe me.  Not sure whether I should find that funny or be annoyed.  Obviously it couldn't have been a bad haircut, because he would have definitely noticed that.

Anyhow, that's not the point here.  I didn't plan to get this done, but got tired of looking so blah.  When the stylist started, she opted to cut my hair dry, but added some kind of hair product before she began her work.  I had a passing thought about it, but didn't pay much attention.  However, when I got home, I couldn't stop thinking about it, wondering what was in the product.  It was clear, probably mostly made of alcohol, but without reading labels I couldn't be sure if there was an allergen in it.  The Babe kept grabbing my hair, and I kept backing away, so clearly I needed to wash my hair.  So while I usually like to keep a new hairstyle untouched for 24 hours to enjoy the "just styled" look, I hopped in the shower 20 minutes after getting home. 

Hand lotions, creams, cosmetics, and soaps do not have to have the same warning labels as food required by the FDA.  So while there are many different ingredients with 20+ letter chemical names, without calling the manufacturer, I can never be 100% sure what is in those products.  I don't have the time, energy, or care to find out, so I opt not to use those questionable products.  I also am cautious about wearing make-up that is apparently "safe" around the Babe, just in case.  Between lack of sleep and lack of make-up, I'm tempted to sign up for a make-over show.  In the meantime, I continue to read labels, avoid lipstick and hand cream around the Babe (reasons why my hands will show my age before any other part of my body), and try not to be overly paranoid about something rubbing off on the Babe.  However, the paranoia cannot be avoided.  Once that thought that there might be an allergen around, its hard to shut it off.  And listen to those warnings, because they mean something.  Hence, when in doubt, wash it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment