Friday, April 8, 2011

Household Standards

Once upon a time, my husband liked to clean.  Sound like the start of a fairy tale?  Not quite.  When we first were married, it was not particularly pleasant.  Granted, I liked the fact that he washed the sheets and towels, and was better at cleaning the kitchen.  We had a deal, I did the toilets if he did the vacuuming.  We split up other aspects of housecleaning, as we both worked full time.  And he was much better at this.  He would polish the faucets, and get the grout clean in the shower, and then give me instructions on how I didn't do it properly.  Ahem- then do it yourself!  Anyhow, time passed, we moved, and I stopped working outside the house.  I became the person primarily responsible for the house.  And somehow my (sometimes obsessively) neat husband lost that shine, or rather that need to shine the faucets.  And put away his dirty clothes.  And wash a dish or stick a glass in the dishwasher.  Granted, there are times when he does do all of the above, and more. However, now he works super long hours, is exhausted by the end of the day (and weekend), and we would rather spend our limited time together with the Babe than cleaning the house.

So if you happen to come over to visit, the house may appear neat.  But don't go looking for dust bunnies.  They do exist, but please, just don't look.  I continue to keep up with the laundry and cleaning the toilets.  I'm just not the one who irons their sheets (I know someone who does this- and enjoys it!) or washes the windows weekly (with a toddler who loves to touch the glass that would keep me busy all day).  Our house is clean, I just wouldn't recommend eating off my floors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment