Monday, April 4, 2011

Saved by a Pancake

I'm loving the Bisquick Gluten Free Pancake Mix.  Thank goodness the Babe got over the rice allergy, since rice flour is in it.  I do have a recipe for making gluten free vegan pancakes that got much use before the rice allergy disappeared.  On occasion I do haul out all the ingredients to make it, however I like the ease of making them from the mix. 

Last night I made stew.  If you've been reading my posts, you know we're sick of stew around here.  However, I haven't made it in weeks.  No, really.  So last night, after the stew had been simmering away for an hour and a half, my husband said he didn't want it.  Like he has a choice.  Granted, he's not two, but if I'm cooking, he better eat it, especially since it was a weekend evening.  Of course, we'd been watching some food shows showing the best of pizza and also "Man vs. Food".  Basically, we spent two or three hours drooling over foods we couldn't eat last night.  And while we wanted to make a last minute call to the sitter so we could go out, we knew she was busy.  So when he said he didn't want it, I kind of agreed.  What to make last minute?  How about pancakes?  All around "YES". 

Here's the funny part.  The Babe generally eats 1 or 2 at a time, on a good day three.  Never more than three.  So she was sitting at the table last night, and quickly consumed one.  Then another, and another.  Before we knew it, she had six- a full adult portion.  Yippee!  About an hour and half later, she had half an avocado and some turkey (at her request).  Clearly she did not have enough to eat earlier in the day, or else she finally got an appetite.  As our former pediatrician told us, toddlers eat like snakes.  They can go days and days eating very little, and then out of the blue, consume huge quantities.  While the image isn't flattering, it is true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment