Saturday, April 30, 2011

Nighttime Escapades

Well, it looks like the bed-time war has begun again, although unintentionally.  I planned to work on it again, just haven't done so.  Last night though was bad.  But not in the way you would expect.

The Babe went to sleep next to me.  She prefers to sleep on top of the bedspread.  I awoke around one o'clock due to my insomnia, but figured I'd be asleep soon.  Around 2 a.m., the Babe sat up in bed.  I pulled her toward me to get her to lay back down when I patted wetness- a lot of wetness.  She had completely soaked through her diaper, which in itself must have held a few gallons.  So off to her bedroom for a change, and decided she needed to spend the rest of the night there.  Didn't want to have her sleep on the wetness she left behind.  In theory, sounded good.  The Babe though wasn't really thrilled at the prospect of sleeping in her own bed.  Something about her room or bed she must not like during the night. 

Anyhow, I laid awkwardly on the floor next to her, trying to get her to sleep.  We gave her more juice (yes, counter-intuitive after she leaked, but the amount wouldn't cause it again at that time of night).  She just couldn't or wouldn't go to sleep.  Finally, around 3:30 a.m., I asked if she would sleep in my room if we moved her bed.  A quick yes, and promises to sleep, led us to transfer her mattress.  Did she then go to the land of nod?  No.  She kept saying she needed to snuggle and couldn't sleep.  After another 45 minutes of this I determined it was not happening.  So back to her bedroom with her mattress and instruction to sleep.  The gate went up, and I left her.  Within minutes, she called out that she had peed and needed another diaper.  Mmm-hmm.  Nice little tactic.  Let her win that one briefly, and then that was it.  I guaranteed I wasn't returning, and I didn't.  What was her next move?  She started to call out, "Daddy, you're a genius!", over and over.  I tried not to laugh too loudly from my bedroom.  As tired as I was, I could still appreciate the humor of her behavior.  However, neither my husband nor I responded and eventually she fell asleep.

So now there is no going back.  Tonight she will be in her own bed.  For now, I have a comforter to wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment