Sunday, April 24, 2011

Toddler Time

Toddler Time is apparently any time.  Today my daughter asked for lunch at what most would consider dinner time.  That is because she has a set menu (at least in her mind) of what lunch is- sliced turkey, avocado, and potato chips.  Ok, also hummus, but she's not getting that until Passover is over.  She already had these foods once today, and would have been happy to have them again.  I gave her some other foods to temporarily appease her, and then dinner.  And this lunch also works for her for breakfast. 

So while food is a universal language, apparently its universal as to time, too.  Our stomaches do not know time, only hunger.  It is with maturity or our own societal norms that we may train ourselves to conceptualize what is breakfast, lunch or dinner.  For example, I don't think hamburger or steak is breakfast food, but I know this works for others.  A lot of people enjoy pancakes for dinner, while others would disagree.  So, in my toddler's world, if she wants food, time does not matter (well, she's not getting it at 2 a.m.).  I'm generally just happy that she's eating.  Cereal for dinner and potato chips for breakfast... ok, not on a regular basis, but I'm not going to necessarily say no, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment